Topic 1: Digital literacy, what is that????

 

How can we define this and how do we promote this in our students?

Calvani, Cartelli, Fini and Ranieri (2008) define digital literacy as an umbrella framework of several complex and integrated literacies, and this includes skills, knowledge, ethics, and creative inputs in a digital network environment. Simmons College (2008) developed a competencies questionnaire to cover the 5 broad areas:

1.       Information access - Library resources

2.       Ethics - Copyright issues

3.       Personal computing - Connectivity, security

4.       Using Simmons systems

5.       Applications - MS Office, Browsers and iTunes

 

We spoke about the digital environments of consumption, communication, collaboration, and creation. At first, I did not realise how digital literate I am.  Then we had to dot down all the activities we do online.  And there it was, I pay my bills online, do online shopping and download YouTube videos. I also am active on Facebook, Instagram, Zoom, Skype, Teams and WhatsApp.   I am also not too bad with PowerPoint presentations and creating video-clips. I am collaborating with my colleagues in Zoom, Google drive, One-drive, and Teams.  So, for a person growing up in a not so digital world, I am quite digital literate. Well, Blogging is totally new to me.  I read Blogs but never wrote one myself, so here I go with my first ever Blog. 

 

My other question is more around our students.  In South Africa, and especially during Lockdown we had major issues with students not knowing how to use online tools.  I really believe we have to rethink the curriculum and introduce a new module (Online 101) to upskill and equip the students with the needed skills.  They need to expand their options, use other tools and incorporate that into their learning.

Gilster, Paul (1997), Digital Literacy, Wiley: New York suggest that we do the following 5 points: 

·       Encourage self-exploration (learn as you go)

·       Create an online resource guide for students (with useful tips, trustworthy online tools)

·       Include online tools in assignments. (students must use online articles, eLearning videos and other internet resources to find information)

·       eLearning blogs or virtual presentations

·       Host live events

 

I came across a very nice article with the topic:

“Assessing digital literacy skills using a self-administered questionnaire”. 

http://buscompress.com/uploads/3/4/9/8/34980536/riber_6-3_a17-026_74-85.pdf

 

Our ONL group agreed that we can also host tutorial sessions for the students to develop their digital literacy skills.  Topics we should address includes:

·       Basic computer skills

·       Advanced tech skills

·       Online safety

·       Content evaluation

·       Online job search

To conclude I believe the best way to develop digital literacy within our students… and our self’s, will be to blend digital literacy into the core learning objectives, to develop online and self-guided digital literacy assessment modules and by daily use of all digital platforms in our teaching and learning will help to improve learner’s experience and knowledge.

Comments

Popular Posts